Tales from the Roaring Dragon Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleepless night

2 posters

Go down

Sleepless night Empty Sleepless night

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Salem had tried to sleep. For two hours he tossed and turned. The one time he started to doze the nightmares shot him awake. As quietly as he could, he gathered his gear and made his way out of the common room. Once in the tavern area he pulled on his armor, and with a frustrated sigh he made his way to the back door. He stepped into the cold, wet air, and scanned the tree line. After a moment he sat on the ledge of the outside wall, and, with his axe in hand, set about watching for his night mares to sleek out of the night.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Sleepless night Empty Re: Sleepless night

Post by Violet Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 am

The lumpy mattress wasn't the only thing keeping her awake that night. Memories from the fight, and more-so Salem's reactions afterwards kept replaying in her dreams. The darkness of the anger and hatred in Salem had changed him in frightening ways, to a point where she nearly didn't recognize him. In her dreams, that darkness was an entity all it's own, battling the captain as he fought his own battles with the drow, threatening to consume him. The sound of movement disturbed her sleep like a pebble dropped in a still pond. Still trapped in that hazy point between sleep and awake, she watched through blurry eyes at a tall figure moved about the common room. She wanted to call out to him, but her body was not quite awake enough to respond. She lay there for several minutes after the tall figure left, trying to figure out if this was just another dream or not. But the longer she laid there the more she began to feel the discomfort of the mattress, confirming she was in fact awake.

Glancing over she noticed Salem's bed was empty, confirming the figure moving about the room was not a dream. Concern swept through her, and she got up as quietly as possible and donned her clothing, and armor. If her life with the Rovers had taught her anything it was that she should always be prepared for a fight. She slipped from the common room in to the tavern and looked around for signs of where he could have gone. While she thought herself a pretty good tracker usually, the urban setting was not her forte. The cluster of dusty footprints, half swept away by some lazy wench gave her little to go off of. She looked between the front and the back doors, wondering which to chose. On a whim she guessed the front door, figuring she had a 50/50 chance of being right.

The brisk night air hit her as she stepped outside. The shock of it caused her lungs to constrict in protest, making her cough softly before she was able to adjust. Even so, the air felt wonderful. She hadn't realized how stuffy and smelly the air in the tavern had been until she had this as a comparison. Taking another several grateful breaths, she looked around for signs of Salem. The village was dead, all the occupants soundly asleep; she could even hear a few of them snoring soundly.

A slight smile of amusement curved her lips and she lifted her eyes to the sky. The star twinkled happily at her, as if greeting an old friend. The stress she felt for Salem started to lessen as she stared up at the sky. This was one thing she would never understand about the drow. How could someone live their lives under ground, deprived of such a wonderful sight as the night sky? The short amount of time she had spent in the goblin caves confirmed the fact that she could never live her life underground like that. Maybe that was why the drow were so evil....?
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 pm

A silent sentinel, the Captain could of been mistaken for a tree for how still he stood in the dark. His eyes danced from shadow to shadow, taking care to not overlook even the smallest warning signs. He was a bit surprised when the only sign of life came from the direction of the Inn behind him. The creak of the front door found it's way to Salem's ears with ease in the silent night. Not wanting to leave the back unguarded just yet, but curious as to who was coming or going, he moved laterally towards the western edge of the Inn. Once Violet came into view he relaxed slightly. He cupped his hands to his mouth, and made the mournful call of the Rain Dove to signal to her his position.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Her ears perked up at the sound of the bird call. It sounded close to the real thing, but just a little off. With her curiosity getting the better of her she slowly crept around towards the back of the inn, silently hoping it was Salem that had called out to her.

On high alert she peered around the edge of the building, barely able to make out Salem's shadow against the night sky. But she knew it was him, though she couldn't quiet explain how she knew. Strapping her staff to her back, she began to climb towards him, albeit a little awkwardly. It was clear that climbing was not her strong suit. When she finally made it up to him, she positioned herself into the safest and most comfortable perch available and looked towards him curiously.

"couldn't sleep? " it was a silly question, one she already knew the answer to, but she didn't quite know how to strike up a conversation without being awkward. Before she let him answer the silly question, she tilted her head up to the stars and have a soft dough. "the stars are beautiful tonight. ..."
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Salem's eyes stayed on the half-elf as she approached. His stoic features allowed for a slight up turn of his lips once she came to his side, while his shoulders made a subtle shrug at her question.

"Wasn't in the cards for me." he said in a hushed voice. His gaze traced across the hints of her collar bone, up her throat, and across her face before finding its way to the sky. "It is refreshing that you do not take them for granted... Most do."

He sighed, and brought his attention back to the forests edge. "What has you up and about?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm

She felt his eyes lingering on her for a few seconds before he joined her attention on the stars. She couldn't help but smile at this, though concern still pulled at her emotions and kept her emotions more subdued. It didn't seem right to be happy after what she had seen him go through. But his compliment about enjoying the stars brought the smile out without restriction. It was clear that there was a true love within her for the night sky, and it shone in her eyes when they lifted to the heavens. The burdens that had weighted on her seemed to lift just a little and a hint of her normal carefree nature shone through.

It took her a few seconds to register that he had asked a question, and she turned to look at him again, hugging her knees to her chest and giving a non-committal shrug. "Nightmares mostly. But I also woke up when I heard someone moving around, which I can only assume was you. I was concerned about you, and figured you may benefit from some company..." though she seemed a little unsure of his response to that, she seemed sure of what she was saying. "So here I am" It was both an challenge, and an invitation for him
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 pm

His eyes lingered on her for a few beats before returning to their work on the treeline. He cleared his throat as he scratched at his beard. "Sorry." he said quietly. "Sorry you had to deal with nightmares, and  sorry for being noisy. Though I can't say I mind your company, regardless of the distraction. Perhaps that is just what I need..." His eyes drifted towards the ground in front of him as his shoulders slouch slightly as if under an unseen pressure.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Salem leaned into her, finding comfort in her closeness. His head shook slowly. "Not him, just his people."He sighed. "It took me back to a... bad time. My last night with the sky above before I was made a slave to the tar skinned devils of the Underdark." There was a hatred in his tone, but it was weighed down by a weariness. "They came in the night, not unlike this night. They came and took everything. I won't let that happen again. not to anyone if I have anything to say about it. Even if that means chasing the rats back into their holes, and wiping them out." He paused as he looked at Violet. "There is blood on the horizon for the Rauvin Rovers. I know it. Even more than we have spilt before. I find myself worrying for all the Rovers, but that worry is stronger for you. Not because of ability, mind you, but perhaps because of how the sights that are in store for us harden people. You are not hard. You are sweet and kind and hopeful. You have an innocence that I fear will be stripped away. That kind of thing changes a person, often for the worse, and I am quite fond of how you are now."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 pm

A soft intake of breath was her only response when he revealed his history with the drow. Slavery was absolutely abhorrent to her; the loss of freedom and basic rights was never acceptable in any circumstances. She slipped her arm around his, linking them together in a act of solidarity and comfort she hoped would help.

She remained silent as he spoke of the possible future for the roavers and his fears. She wanted to disagree with him at first. She lived alone in the woods, living off the land which was not always easy, but she knew that what he was speaking of went much deeper than simple hardships.

There was evil in the world. Her mother had worked hard to protect her from such evil and had done a fairly good job at it. While she may have experienced hardships, she had no idea how she would fair if she was in Salem's situation; enslaved to evil drow, forced to do unspeakable things.

Taking a deep breath to steel herself, she nodded in acknowledgement of what he had said

”then I'll just have to find a strength that no one can take " she gave his hand a gentle squeeze and rested her head on his shoulder. "I won't leave the group, whatever we face, we face together" her tone suggested she was adamant about that
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:21 am

Salem said nothing for a long moment. Eventually he turned to Violet, and brought his hand up to stroke her cheek. His steel blue eyes locked with hers for a handful of seconds before his hand and his gaze both dropped away. "Enough clearness of mind has returned to tell me that it is unlikely we will be attack tonight. Perhaps we should head inside, and find some warmth by the hearth before we attempt sleep once more. Maybe you will tell me about these nightmares."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 am

She savoured the feel of his touch, and the brief span of time that they connected before he shut down again. It left her wanting, but she didn't complain. Salem was used to blocking people out, no doubt he had to learn to do so in an act of self preservation. The fact that he was wrong to do it at all was enough for now.

She nodded in agreement, though she had no way of knowing if they would be attacked or not, but she trusted his judgement. With one last wistful look at the stars she began to climb down to the ground. She waited for him to join her before accompanying him to the warmth of the inn.

She hadn't realized how chilly she was until the heat began to bring feeling back to her icy fingers. Seeing the fire was down to embers, she knelt down beside the fireplace an began feeding small tinder to the coals until a flame was reborn.

As she tended to the fire, she began to quietly talk of her dreams.

"there was a darkness, a shadowy figure with no real features that was fighting you. It was as if you were fighting your own shadow. You both seemed to know each others moves before you made them. It was a fight that could go on forever without hope if a victor.... "
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Once inside Salem shrugged out of his chain mail. He set it on a table near the fire, and took a seat. As he listened to Violet he pulled out his cherrywood pipe, and packed it full with his usual pipeweed. He reached a thin stem of wood into the hearth, causing it to light on the embers. With that he brought flame to the bowl, and a lit the contents. He considered her dream while he drew a few lungfuls of blueish smoke.

"I must say that if I would rather more pleasant circumstances if I am to play a role in your dreams." he said with half of a chuckle. It was clear that he was trying to lighten his previously dark mood.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down