Tales from the Roaring Dragon Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoke-rings and suds.

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Smoke-rings and suds. Empty Smoke-rings and suds.

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:57 am

It was mid-afternoon when Salem stepped through the main door of the Baron of Mutton. The wet chill tried to sneak in behind him, but the warmth of the hearth-fire kept it at bay. He hung his soaked cloak near the crackling flames before ordering himself a Dwarven stout. Once poured and in hand he found a chair. After setting aside his massive ax, he sat, and took a look around the room. Anyone that met his eye received a quick nod before he seemed to relax a bit. He took a healthy swig from the large mug before setting it on the table. He reached into his pouch, and produced his worn pipe. Once it was plugged with the dark green leaf he was known to smoke, he dug around for a match. He ran his forearm across his mouth to wipe the foamy head from his whiskers as he struck the matchstick to life. A beat passed before the smoke started puffing from the end of the dark cherry-wood pot. He took several drags before he leaned back, and exhaled a trail of perfect rings made of blues and grays.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Smoke-rings and suds. Empty Re: Smoke-rings and suds.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Illana had arrived in the early afternoon. Rather than going to find her father immediately she decided to earn enough money to afford her own room and her own food. The inn wasn't overly crowded at this time of day but she was allowed to play a set or two for those who were enjoying their lunch. Music would be the first thing of her that met Salem's senses.

A low, melancholy song was being played on the instrument she carried. There were no words to the song but it evoked feelings of lonely, isolated places. The sorts of places that were at once peaceful, awe inspiring, and solitary. Despite her age she managed to capture the emotions perfectly. A barmaid or two was brought to tears as the song finished and the room clapped.

Illana smiled at the crowd and bowed. When they came up to pay her she thanked them for their contribution and gave the owner their cut of the profits. There was enough left over for food and she ordered a meal before looking around for a table. That was when her eyes finally found Salem and she smiled at the familiar face. Whatever sorrow she'd brought forth in her song vanished from her features as she approached.

"Good afternoon. May I join you?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:53 pm

The smoke almost danced slow circles to the music around Salem's head as he sat back in his chair. His blue eyes didn't focus on anything in particular as he let his mind wander somewhere unknown to any who observed him. He absentmindedly sipped from his mug, and didn't seem to break from his thoughts until Illana approached.

A large booted foot slid a chair out for the half-elf as he gave her a nod of both greeting, and of answering. He gave the pipe a couple of strong draws before turning it upside down, and knocking the pot against his palm. He tossed the ash into the fire, and stowed away the pipe as he let his gaze fall upon the bard once more.

"It's good to see you made it back in one piece. We were all a little surprised when you did return with your father."

He finished off the last of the stout before scooting the mug to the side.
"There is a lot to catch up on. How 'bout we start with you? How was your time with Oleanne?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Illana smiled at the offered chair and happily took it. It was obvious now that she was close that she was no longer wearing the shirt that had been placed upon her as a punishment. It was hard to tell if that was in defiance of her father or if she'd been given permission to not put it on anymore. The skin that was visible was still faintly red from it but it was fading.

The half elf watched as the last of the smoke rings faded into the general duskiness of the inn. Eyes danced upwards to follow the trails until they dissipated and her returned glance focused on Salem again. There was a depth to the man that was easy to miss but her gaze seemed to seek it out.

"I needed some time apart." There were other answers she could have given, and to the rest of the group she probably would have but Salem was simply offered the truth. "My time with Oleanne was uneventful to be honest. We tracked the wolves, but she needed to go deeper into the Thornwood to find out more and bade me return to the rest of you."

Illana leaned forward a bit with interest. "And you? Is all well?" For a moment as she asked that question she let her gaze travel his body as if looking for new wounds or scars from battles that might have been fought recently. A concern born from camaraderie flickered through her hazel eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Salem's eyes glanced at redish splotches on Illana's usual uniform gray skin. He didn't make any mention, however, as he listened to her respond to his question. Her simple answer got an understanding nod as the Captain scratched at the side of his beard.

He gave her a slight smile as she leaned in with her questioning words. He made a noise halfway between a chuckle and a grunt as he pulled up his sleeve to show a nearly healed gash that ran across his forearm.

"That's from the lucky swing of an Orc blade. Just one of a few added to the collection..."

He trailed off for a moment as he reset his sleeve, and leaned back again.

"Things are as well as the ever are. Seems like quite a bit has happened though. Big picture is there are big Orc problems. Violet the Druid, and Alikhan the Ranger have joined our motley crew. We chartered up thanks to your father, and are now officially an adventuring company. The Rauvin Rovers. There was some other stuff we'll all talk about later. Oh yeah, and Corian betrayed us and your father. He poisoned Violet. He is dead now... She's been recovering upstairs. The Dwarf has been by her side sorting it out. More on that later too."

He shrugged as he chuckled again.

"As well as they ever are..."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:49 pm

When Salem showed her that gash, the look that she gave him in turn was half impressed, half grimace. "Orcs, huh?" Illana listened to all that had happened since she'd been away. It had only been a few days and yet it seemed as if she'd missed a great deal. When he mentioned that Corian betrayed them, her eyes darkened just a bit. Everything else he said was filtered away in her mind, but the betrayal stuck with her and it was that topic she asked about.

"Corian has served my father faithfully, why would he betray him now? Did something happen? Is my father okay?" There was a very real concern in her tone. It was more than a daughter's duty, but actual affection that caused her to ask after the man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 pm

With a groan she sat up. The ache that consumed every muscle in her body served as a reminder of her near death experience, as if she could forget. Even though it was uncomfortable to move she had to get out of that uncomfortable, sweat soaked bed. Standing caused her head to swim and she had to grip the bed post to keep her footing, but her stubbornness win out and the dizziness subsided.

Glancing down at her tattered and brained clothing she pursed her lips. This would not do. What she really needed was a bath and a fresh set of clothes. Realizing that she had no idea where she was she suddenly looked around, taking stock of her surroundings. The room looked familiar, but she had no idea how she had gotten here. Next step was to try the door. When she found she could easily leave she ruled out the idea that she was some kind of prisoner.

The familiar surroundings of the Inn gave her a measure of comfort, though the barrage of smells that inhabited the Inn were almost enough turn her stomach. she had never missed the smell of the woods so much. With a deep breath she forced her angry stomach to stop it's rebellious protesting and slowly made her way downstairs in search of the inn keeper.
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Salem held up his hands.

"The only harm to your father was to his pride. Also perhaps his free time, being that he has to draw his own bathwater and what have you, now. The rest, as I said, will be explained in time."

The smirk fell from his lips as he looked past Illana. He slid his chair back as he stood, and strode over to the stairs. He held his hand out to Violet to help steady her.

"Glad to see you pushed through, but it's a bit fast to be up and about. How can I help ya Violet?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Her expression clouded with confusion briefly as Salem approached her, as if she hadn't expected to see him here. The confusion was quickly replaced with a warm smile though.

"Salem, fancy meeting you here..."

She took his hand and allowed him to help support her, though she was still insistent on doing most of it herself.

"If you could point me in the direction of a bath would be most grateful. I feel a little.....gross" and no doubt she looked how she felt too
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty DM Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am

One of the proprietors, Bartholomew, steps from behind the bar at the appearance of the weakened half-elf descending the steps. She looked like she'd come a little closer to death than most folk he'd known, but he kept his opinions quiet and his concern hidden beneath a calm exterior. Using a cloth to clean his hands, he came towards the two, in case the big man needed any assistance. Not that it was likely, but he wanted to make the gesture.

At her mention of a bath, he nodded back towards the steps. "Ya went a little far, miss. The bath is back up that way... up the stairs and to the right."
Mighty DM
Mighty DM
Admin

https://roaringdragoninn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

Illana was going to ask more but at that point Violet came down the stairs and Salem was up and moving towards her. The bard for the moment decided not to overly crowd the woman, though she did smile and wave pleasantly in her direction. The care with which Salem treated her was interesting and Illana filed it away in the back of her mind curiously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Salem looked over to Bartholomew, and gave a nod of thanks.

"She'll not have us both fuss over her. I'm sure she'll make it fine." he said regardless of continuing to hold his hand out for her.

"I suppose just tacking the cost of the bath on our bill would work best. If that works for the house that is."

He glanced to Illana, and motioned her over.

"I'll lug the fresh water around if you want to help get her ready. I don't know anything about oils and such, and they might be soothing. I'll let the good Dwarf know she's up while I'm at it."
He glanced to Violet.

"He fretted over you something awful. Barely left your room."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Following Bartholomew`s gaze back up the steps her noseeyes widened a little and she took a deep breath which she let out in a sigh. The steps looked mountainous to her at this pointand the idea of going right back up was not appealing. For a moment she debated if bathing in the horse trough might be a better option. Absently she thanked the Inn keeper as she bested her next move.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she noticed Illana. A look of relief took over her features and she began to return the warm wave until the memories of her conversation with Corian. The wave died mid motion as she became lost in reliving the memory. Her grip on Salems hand tightened significantly and anger bubbled up inside of her. That god dammned smirk hovering on the elfs lips as he talked about making the vest Bright about an uncharacteristic urge to want to hit something.

She had been so enslaved by her thoughts that she had missed most of what Salem had said.
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 pm

When Salem beckoned Illana came forward immediately. The food that she'd ordered had been forgotten for the moment, in the wake of a friend needing help. The half-elf nodded at Salem's instructions and moved to stand beside Violet.

With a careful grasp she took the woman by the elbow and slid close to help support her. Rightly intuiting Violet's original worries about the stairs, she spoke softly. "Lean on me all you like. I'll help you get back upstairs." Illana's voice was kind and she waited patiently until Violet felt strong enough to brave the walk back to the baths.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty DM Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 am

The innkeeper gave a nod, and took a few steps backwards. He watched as they helped the half-elf towards the stairs; once he was certain the girl wasn't going to come tumbling back down, he made his way back behind the bar once more. Quickly, he picked back up where he'd left off, and started tending to the other few customers that had filtered in.
Mighty DM
Mighty DM
Admin

https://roaringdragoninn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:27 am

Salem gave the Innkeeper another nod of thanks before heading out into the damp, cold air. His long strides took him quickly to the well, where he started drawing buckets. Once he had his load he made his way back across the muddy street. A splash from one of the buckets cleaned his boots enough to not leave a mess as he came back through the Inn and up the stairs. His heavy footfalls stopped outside of Oolo's room.

"You patient is awake." he said loud enough to be heard on the other side. Without waiting for a response he finished the journey to the bath.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:33 pm

As Illana took hold of her she broke free from her memories.  Belatedly she smiled over to Salem.

"i am eternally grateful to or cleric for his skills and his concern.  I will be sure thank him myself soon possible."  

As she and Illana scaled the stairs she carefully looked the young Bard over, checking for any signs of damage left over from the torturous vest.  

"Illana, I'm glad to see you've caught up with us.  How are you?" She asked with genuine interest.  There were obvious mixed feelings warring within her that she did little to hide.  Her time in the woods had dulled her social niceties in favor of pure truth.  

"Before you help me you should know that I attacked your father's servant Corian.  I wish I could say I'm sorry, but after the things he said to me I cannot bring myself to feel guilt for hurting him.  I am sorry if this brings you any pain though"  she paused long enough to allow Illana make the decision as to if she wanted continue to help her up the stairs
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 am

One arm wrapped around Violet's waist and she placed the druid's arm around her neck. Shouldering her weight as much as Violet would allow they started the slow climb up the stairs. There were red marks still, left over from the shirt that she'd worn but the clothing she wore now was not as torturous as the other.

"I'm well. Sorry I couldn't be here to help." The young half elf saw the questions there but figured she'd cross the bridge of how to respond when they got there. Violet's admittance earned her a glance but she didn't at all stop the steady climb upward.

"Salem told me Corian betrayed my father. That puts me in your debt and more inclined to help then before." The half-elf smiled genuinely. "I still don't know why he turned on all of you. What happened?"

Throughout the course of their conversation the two women managed to scale the stairs. Following the innkeepers direction, Illana guided the two of them down the hall and pushed open the door to the bath.

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 am

Salem ducked through the door to the bath, only spilling a little from the buckets he carried. He gave both women a nod and a half smile before pouring the water into the tub. He grabbed the iron tongs, and started placing heated rocks in the bottom of the tub. They hissed and bubbled as they sank, and steam slowly started to build from the surface.

"Shouldn't take long before it's nice and warm."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

She was grateful for the assistance and seemed a little relieved when Illana choose to continue help her even after her confession.  By the time she got to the top of the steps she was ended enough that she had to wait to catch her breath before she could explain the story.  When she entered the bathroom and saw that Salem had already prepared the water for her she have him a grateful smile.  She really had found an amazing group of people to work with.  

Sitting down on a small bench near the tub she began to explain what happened

"So Kyle confessed a secret to us that here wasn't what he claimed to be.  Kyle it's a drow, but he had been wearing makeup to hide his true race.  When Kyle confessed this to your father, Corian was also in the tent with us.  There were a lot of talk after Kyle confessed his secret.  When your father called for Corian services we realized that Corian had cut a hole in the tent and had run off.  Worried that Corian would tell the wrong people and put Kyle in danger we ran of after him.  

A ranger had just joined our group and was able to track Corian, but as we filled his tracks we heard what sounded like orc party the distance.  We..." She paused suddenly remembering that she had left the other members of her party to fight the orcs and hadn't even shed everyone was OK

"Salem, Oolo, Kyle, and your father stayed to fight the orcs."  Even though she was telling the story to Illana she was looking Salem over to ensure was.  "...I didn't even ask..is everyone OK?"
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Illana sat down next to Violet as they waited for the water to warm and she told her story. Illana's grew wide at the knowledge that one of their traveling companions was a drow. She wasn't scared in any way, quite the opposite, she seemed excited about the knowledge.

Illana shook her head at Corian's brash actions. "I never liked that man..." She looked back at Salem when Violet asked her question, seeming as eager for the answer as the Druid was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Salem set the tongs on the rack by the stove before regarding the half-elves again. "Everyone is in one piece. The orcs didn't stand a chance."

He managed a reassuring smile while absentmindedly rubbing the new scar on his arm.

"You did the right thing with Corian by the way. Zak is one of us regardless of the color of his skin, or cut of his ears. You bleed for the Rovers, the Rovers bleed for you. Corian got beter 'an he deserved by my reckonin'."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

((OOC I used the wrong name in my last post It should have been Zak, not Kyle)

Her eyes feel to the scar on Salems arm as a grown creased her lips. The man had a collection of scars already, one more was likely of little concern to him, yet still the sight the mending flesh brought about a mixture emotions.

Dipping a finger in to the water to test the warmth, and distract her from her thoughts, she continued the story.

"The new ranger and I agreed to go after Corian while the men intercepted the orcs. We managed to catch up to him and convinced him to stop running. I explained how Zak wasn't as bad as he seemed, that he had proven his loyalty to the group already and should be given a chance.

Corian want afraid. He wasn't running out of fear. He wouldn't tell me why he was running or where he was going though. I argued for Zak, saying that your father had sown more cruelty by putting you in that shirt."
She paused briefly as she gritted her teeth in anger

"He made it. Corian made that cruel vest, and he smirked when he claimed his work. He was proud, and he made it a point to tell me that he's the one who made it.

I drew my weapon. Maybe I just got angry, but that smirk made my stomach turn. I think there was more to Christian than we knew. I don't think he was who he pretended to be.

We attacked first. The ranger sit hun and I attacked with my staff, but I wasn't strong enough stand against him. I did as long as I was able....I dint know what happened after I fell"

During the story her eyes had dipped down to stare the water. Only I've she was done talking did she look up to see their reactions
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 am

Illana tensed as Violet continued her story. When the druid mentioned the shirt and Corian's cruelty, she tensed slightly but otherwise kept her features blank of emotion. Whatever she felt about the punishment she'd endured was firmly locked away behind a well crafted door where all of her feelings about her past punishments were held. Instead she nodded when Violet was done speaking and reached forward to hug her.

"You did the right thing. Salem's right. The man deserved what he got. I'm just glad that you're well and safe now." The bard smiled at Violet as she pulled back slightly from the embrace. Illana tested the water herself and judging the water warm enough she motioned to the bath. "Let's get you inside the water. The warmth will help you."

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Though she was a little surprised by the hug she gladly returned it. A part of her wondered if the girls father would be so forgiving. The protective urge she had over the bard was well justified. Her father didn't deserve her.

"thank you for being so understanding"

She nodded to Illanas suggestion and stood up. A slight blush colored her cheeks when she glanced over to Salem. Usually she had no issues with nakedness but the presence of the large man brought about unfamiliar feelings. Turning her back to him she slowly began to slip out of her soiled and damaged clothing. Her body had never felt so alive before, and she was internally aware of every inch of skin as she slowly exposed to the chill air. It took everything in her to play it cool and not act like it was a big deal.

Reaching out to Illana for a steady hand she slowly stepped into the warm water. The shock of heat made her gasp softly but dear god did it feel good. With a sigh she slowly lowered herself into the tub letting the heat consume her.
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum