Tales from the Roaring Dragon Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tales Untold

2 posters

Go down

The Tales Untold Empty The Tales Untold

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 am

All but one of the tavern's rooms had been reserved by the Rauvin Rovers, the last having been claimed by the bard some nights before. It made the Baron of Mutton slightly less diverse, with only some of the townsfolk or miners coming in later in the evening. While there were still plenty of folk to sing for, there were some less to sing about.

While they'd mostly been a private bunch that kept to themselves, she'd picked up what she could about each member of the company. She was a fairly visible presence on the main floor, occasionally talking with the locals when she wasn't playing. Other times, she sat with her instrument, lightly plucking at the strings. Whenever any member of the Rauvin Rovers would enter, however, notes would start to form - varying per individual, and something wholly different if they were in a group. In those moments, she'd speak quietly to herself, only stopping if a patron approached her.
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

The Tales Untold Empty Re: The Tales Untold

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 am

Salem came down from his room in leather pants, and a simple brown linen tunic. His long sword stayed on his hip, but a strap laid tied across the hilt. In his hand was his, black and deep red marbled, cherry-wood pipe. He stepped up to the bar and ordered his stout and stew. He gave Andren a thankful nod before turning to the open room. After a Careful scan he noticed the bard that had been staying at the Inn as well. He chewed the inside of his cheek while he thought to himself, and only looked away when he heard the bowl set down behind him.

"Many thanks." he said as he placed his pipe between his teeth, and picked up his supper. In half the steps it would of taken most men. he had carried himself over to the bards table. He sat without a word, and set his load, pipe included, in front of him. He looked her over curiously before finally speaking.

"Interesting song you sang the other night Miss. About the Ax-men... What inspired you to sing such a song this far down river from Silverymoon?"

While his tone was a touch on the gruff side, his eyes showed a more sad curiosity.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 am

Thin fingers had started strumming the moment the large captain had entered the bar; the half-elf did not stop playing until he took a seat at her table. His company was unexpected and a bit of a surprise to Rhianna, though she masked it with a friendly smile. As a show of giving the man her attention, she let the instrument rest in her lap.

"Normally the one people ask me about is the 'Women of Boo Bah Ben'..." She chuckled softly, but the musical sound was cut short when she realized there was little humor to the question. She cleared her throat softly, lifting a glass of clear liquid to wet her throat.

"Actually, it is a song I learned from a fellow minstrel, named Mintiper. We shared a few, some years back. Honestly, it came to mind when I saw you walking in here with the weapon on your back. I hadn't sung it in a while... if you're not overly fond of it, I'm sure I could work a different one in."

Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am

Salem's eyes rested on her for a long moment before he looked to his mug. He took a long pull of the dark brown, frothy liquid before speaking up again.

"I haven't heard Moonsilvers name in a long time... Have you seen him recently?"

There was a tinge of hope in his tone, but the dark sadness also seemed to intensify slightly in his features. He tried to wash it away with another swig, and when that failed he went to pushing the chunks of meat and potatoes around the bowl with a spoon. His eyes stared down as he waited for her response.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 pm

The captain's long stare made her shift in her seat slightly. Still, she met the gaze unflinchingly, her demeanor still welcoming. Her expression remained unchanged until he mentioned the other bard's name, a smile returning to her lips with relative ease. "It's been a while since I last ran into Minti... do you know him? He's quite the traveler..." Her voice trailed off as she watched him toy with his food.

"Speaking of knowing someone, we haven't been properly introduced. I'm Rhianna. You're Salem, right?"
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Salem's brow rose at the nickname the half-elf used for the bard, and his eyes met her's again. For a second his lips curled into a smile before the settled back into neutrality. He nodded an affirmative to his name, and took a swig of his stout. After brushing away the suds he spoke.

"Salem is right. Salem Blackthorne. I served next to, and then was Captain over the boisterous and musical Mintiper Moonsilver back when we were both ax-men, and before."

He regarded her with a curious eye before continuing.

"I wonder what else, songs and otherwise, that he shared with you."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47 am

Rhianna was glad the man's somewhat somber mood had passed - at least for the moment. She laughed at his reaction to the nickname, and gave a nod of agreement at the description of her fellow musician. "I bet he was a handful, whether as his brother in arms or his Captain..." Something occurred to her, and the bard sat up a bit straighter. Her light eyes narrowed slightly, her fingers giving a light strum over the strings of her instrument. "Captain," she said again, as if confirming it.

With his remark he pulled her from whatever reverie, and a sly grin spread over her lips. "Hang around here a little longer, and you might just find out."
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Salem nodded at her assessment of his old companion as he pulled his bowl close. He scooped a heaping spoonful of meat and potatoes into his mouth as she strummed. Chewing to the side of his mouth, he spoke out of the other.

"Is that so?" he said with something of a chuckling grunt.

"My curiosity is certainly peaked."

He lifted the mug to his lips to wash down the stew.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Rhianna nodded in affirmation, that it was certainly so. She leaned forward over the table towards the man, her voice lowering into a conspiratorial whisper. "Good... else I'd be a poor bard, indeed." The half-elf laughed, settling back into her chair. "I'll look for you when I play later, then. In the meantime, though... what's your story, Captain? What have these Rauvin Rovers been up to?"

She lifted the instrument from her lap, breaking her gaze on the big man as she admired the honeyed wood. Her fingers traced over the contours appreciatively, and moved to pluck lightly at the strings as her eyes drifted back up to the fighter.
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 am

Salem shoveled down a few mouthfuls of the the savory beef stew with a worn wooden spoon as he considered the Bard's question. His eyes look passed her as he thought, and only moved as he reached for his mug of dark stout. After chewing on a particularly tough chunk of meat, he washed it all down with a healthy swig, and looked back to Rhianna as he set the mug back down.

"I am no bard, or teller of tales in any kind of way, but I'll tell you the basics. Since coming together we have killed thirty or more Orcs. We have dealt with a group of highway men, and we have also helped find and calm a young man with an unfortunate aliment that turns him into a werebear. I suppose the overly large, and oddly acting wolves that we fought and killed are also worth mention... None of this in any particular order, mind you."

He reached into his pouch, and pulled out a plug of his pipe-leaf. After nestling it into the cherry-wood pot, he lit it with a nearby candle. once he took a few puffs he spoke again.

"You collect and tell many stories of others, how about you share some about yourself?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Rhianna was patient, idly toying with snippets of melody while the man ate and considered her question. When he was finally ready to speak, she listened attentively as he listed off some of the deeds of the company. She looked suitably impressed.

"For such a young band, you've done much together already. I've not heard of any lycanthropes in this area for some time. And oddly acting wolves? At some point, one of the Rauvin Rovers will have to share more of these stories, and I'll help them carry on when I do."

Her nose scrunched as the man lit the pipe, though more out of curiosity for the type of leaf than anything else. The bard's head tilted back, watching the smoke drift and swirl lazily up towards the ceiling, the scent mingling with the others of the bar pleasantly. At his question she brought her eyes back to the man. Half of a smile pulled at her lips, and her fingers stopped their motions across the strings.

"Before I started doing this? My story is rather dull. Once I picked up an instrument, though, and dedicated myself to this life... it has taken me all over the Realms, and let me meet those from all walks of life. I've known heroes, met villains, and all the good folk between that are affected by their passing. So...such a broad question is a bit difficult to answer - especially if you're out the door once that bowl is done. Narrow it down for me, ask me something you want to know... and I'll share. But...only if you do the same. Fair?"
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 am

The Captain's chuckle sent a ripple through the line of smoke rings that swirled around his head. His head shook in amusement as he drew another swig from his mug. He set it down with a thud as the smirk on his lips began to form words.
"It seems you already know a bit about me. First the song of about the Ax-men, and now the abridged tales of the Rauvin Rovers. Still though, I'll play along. For now at least."

He looked her over again, searching for the question that would be worth disclosing more about himself. His head cocked tot he side before he spoke.
"What brought you to this town specifically?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:49 pm

"To be fair, I didn't know you were actually one of the Axe-men in truth until you told me. But that doesn't count towards this, so don't even try it..." She playfully pointed a finger at him, and a mock scowl colored her features before a smile returned. She took a deep breath before answering him, however, her hand reaching for her own cup, lifting it to her lips to finish off the contents. The man would be able to faintly smell a blend of fruit and honey.

Setting it down lightly on the table, the bard looked back to Salem. "I stopped in here for a bit before I continue west. It's one of the last towns on the road out of Haranshire. I'm heading for a place -some big waypoint for adventurers - where I hear my father stayed, a couple months or so back. All things considered, I'm kind of taking my time getting there, to figure out what I want to do... " Clearing her throat, she went to reach for her cup again; her lips pursed when she remembered it was empty.

A hand rose, waving over a barmaid. Once the woman arrived, she politely asked for another drink. When they were alone, Rhianna smiled over to the fighter.  "So, I don't mind that your band gives me reason to stay a bit longer."
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Salem puffed on his pipe as the bard spoke. The rest of his stew lay forgotten as he leaned back with a smirk on his face. He nodded, accepting her verdict. He crossed one arm across his chest to balance the other one, with pipe in hand, at the elbow. He watched her face as she spoke, seeming to look for the truth of things in the nuances of her expressions. It wasn't something he excelled at, but he thought it was worth a try.

He nodded with genuine interest as she continued, and waited until she was done to speak up again.
"Since you haven't yet asked me anything, I shall press on." he said with a raised brow.
"What did you mean by figuring out what you wanted to do? What is your business there?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 am

The storyteller stared at the man across the table thoughtfully, wondering how much she was willing to share. The silence was broken by the arrival of her drink, and she turned her head to smile in thanks to the woman. Taking a sip to wet her throat and lips, she glanced back at Salem and visibly made the decision to continue.

"Well, there's quite a bit to think about, considering my father has been dead for twenty years. But, lo' and behold, whilst I was finishing up a stint in Silverymoon, I received a letter from the wielder of Shu'kahl herself, telling me that my dad had been staying at her establishment the last few nights. Tyra hadn't been in when he arrived, and when she saw him the next night, the woman was convinced that she was seeing things - a trick of the shadows, maybe. By the third day, she says she knew, even though this guy didn't show any recognition when he saw her."

Her hands left her instrument completely, letting it balance across her legs while both of her hands encircled the cup. "He didn't come back the next day, though. It's been over a month. I'm working my way there, to help figure things out... I'm just not in any hurry. I wrote the parting song for my father years ago, and a piece of me is unwilling to revise that tune." Now that the words were spoken, there was no taking them back. Some of the reality seemed to settle on the bard's shoulders, and she stared down into her cup until she brought her expression under control. Lifting her head with a tight smile, she looked back to Salem.

"Where did you go after you and Minti parted ways?"
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Blueish-gray smoke weaved around itself like a great wyrm over his head. As her answer to his question continued to unfold the background noise of the Inn seemed to fade away. The Captain's surprise and curiosity was plain on his face, along with sypmathy for the bard. He was about to comment when she looked back up at him, and asked a question of her own.

Her words hit him like a gut punch, as he quickly exhaled the last draw from his pipe. He sighed as he looked down into his pouch, and distractedly pulled another pinch of leaf out. After repacking the pot he swallowed the last of his stout, and set the mug aside.
"Thought this might be a short game..." he said before lighting the leaf in much the same way was before. After a few puffs he continued.

"Moonsilver parted ways with the AX-men in Silvery Moon a couple years ago. Yeah we noticed the name thing too. Anyway, he left to pursue what he was good at. Namely talking about other people's business. The Ax-men took up a regular patrol in Everlund for a few months before word spread through the Marches that the Orcs were gettin' noise up in the pass. We got dispatched up there to deal with it."

He waved the barmaid apalogetically, and asked for another stout before turning back to Rhianna.
"So, are you talkin' about the Roarin' Dragon Inn?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 pm

She hadn't expected for her question to have that sort of impact on Salem; her eyes widened slightly, wondering if she'd crossed some unspoken boundary. He recovered well, however, and the concern that had her leaning towards him dissipated enough to let her settle back in her seat. She listened attentively, but Rhianna knew when things were left unsaid - and the warrior has skipped volumes. A hand dropped to her lap, to let her thumb strum over the strings, her head canting to one side. After hearing that small prologue, the bard decided she was in for the whole game - however long it may be.

There were questions she wanted to ask, but the man interjected with one of his own. She nodded at first in response, before opening her mouth to reply. "The Roaring Dragon, yes. It's quite the place Tyra has out there, and a lot of adventurers have rested their heads beneath her roof. See, I take it you've been there or that you've heard of it. The place is pretty popular amongst our ilk... so hopefully whenever I make it, there'll be someone there - or not so far down the road - that they can give me some answers."

Rhianna took another drink from her cup, and managed a smile. "You know, I almost asked you about you being at the Roaring Dragon. But that would've taken my turn. And I would've had to have waited another round to ask you this: what did you do after the battle?"
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Salem thanked the barmaid when she brought him a fresh mug of the frothy, brown stout. A lung full of swirling smoke streamed from his nostrils as he drank down an inch or two. He looked at the bard for almost a full minute as his fingers flicked at the handle of the mug in front of him. Finally he took a deep breath, and spoke.

"We never made it to any kind of real battle."

"On our way into the south of the pass we ran into a couple of small group of Orcs, easily dealt with. They were just excited packs on the fringe of the territory, not ready for the kind of fight we brought. No, it turned out the Orcs weren't a problem at all. It would be what waited in the shadows of night four that was the problem..."

He took another swig, savoring the bitter bite as it went down.

"That evenin' we had set up camp with our backs to a cliff wall down in the pass. Strategically it was sound, I believe so to this day. We ate our rations amongst tellin' each other stories, and relivin' past victories. As eyelids grew heavy we assigned watches, and tried to get some rest."

"First watch was mine. It was quiet. Some animals came close, but that was about it. Clear sky too, until just before I was relieved. I laid out on my bedroll, and closed my eyes for a time. I never actually fell asleep, and that may be why I was able to hear the bolt cut the air, and make that sick, wet thud into my brother's chest."

"I scrambled to my feet, ax in hand, tryin' desperately to figure out what was happenin'. Short, lithe figures, black of skin, with red glowing eyes swarmed the camp. Most of my men were cut down before they could even get upright. I roared with a rage I didn't know was in me. I stared swinging my ax with all I had. Each time seemed to cleave an attacker nearly, and sometimes completely in half. I didn't notice the first few bolts in my leg, but I started getting woozy. A few more drove into my shoulder, and my balance failed me. I dropped to a knee, and after cutting down one more, a bolt sank into my chest. The world began to spin, and then everything went dark..."

Somewhere in the story his eyes had drifted off to stare through the fire. His pipe lay smoldering, but forgotten.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 am

Rhianna met his gaze unflinchingly in that long stretch of silence. Not as a challenge to the large man, but to show that she was ready for the next turn of story; he'd led her this far, and she would see it through. Salem's body language certainly suggested that he was going to impart something not often told, and a part of her was tempted to suggest they take it to a place where the din of noise in the background wouldn't endanger any detail being missed. Still, she thought it wiser to stay, to not let there be time to think twice upon the nature of this 'game' they'd been playing at.

As he began to tell his tale, the minstrel became quickly immersed. Making short work of the orcs they'd come across, only to find a more deadly foe waiting for them in the night... short, black-skinned, using bolts...crossbows... Rhianna's mind worked quickly enough; the similarities to the ancient enemies of her mother's people were too great to disregard. One word escaped her - "Drow..." She looked to the fighter for confirmation, noting that he was staring into the crackling flames. She frowned as realization dawned on her - this haunted the man, regardless of how much time had passed. The description that he'd given... it wasn't some fondness of detail that brought those words to mind. It was because he could still close his eyes and relive it - just like he was now.

A part of her wanted to urge him forward, to help him purge this inner demon while fulfilling her own need to know. Yet she had this suspicion that the tale didn't end, and that the good Captain was heading towards more painful recollections. Her hand reached out, lightly resting her fingers on his forearm in order to get his attention. "Your turn to ask a question." The words, softly spoken, were also an offer - a way to turn the conversation away from this dark turn of memory.
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Salem's jaw was clenched as he looked into the fire. His eyes appeared haunted as his words played out with flames as actors, dancing out their doomed fates in the reflecting sheen of his steel blue orbs. The muscles around his right eye twitched in time with the beat of the story, and continued into the silence that followed. The wooden mug he had been holding groan slightly in his grip, and splintered when she touched his arm.

He shook himself out of his dark reflections, and tried to mop up the spilled stout with a rag he used as a handkerchief.

"Sorry." he said, as much to the nearby barmaid as to the Bard.

"Perhaps we can pick up the game another time."

With that he stood.

"Thank you for the company, and sorry again."

Once she replied he excused himself, and went to his room.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Rhianna pulled her hand back as the cup splintered and broke, the remnants of the brew within spilling over the table. Surprise had flushed her cheeks, and she quietly watched as the man tried to clean up the mess. She stood as he did, her instrument clutched in one hand. While he had been the one to say the words, the expression on the bard's face was profoundly apologetic.

"No, you've done nothing wrong. Next time, happier trails and lighter tales." The smile she gave held no mirth, and only served to somehow deepen the sorrow etched into her features. Before he turned to walk away, she stepped in front of him, tilting her head upwards to see the tall man's face. "I'm sorry, Captain Blackthorne."

With that, she turned, walking across the bar, and out the front door.
Rhianna
Rhianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum