Tales from the Roaring Dragon Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork

3 posters

Go down

Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork  Empty Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork

Post by Violet Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:51 am

After Oolo caught her up on what happen to the party she found she couldn't rest her mind enough to get sleep.   Concerned about how much damage the men had taken she sat up through the night to keep watch on them in the common room of the small Inn.  

She had found the most comfortable chair she could find and positioned herself between Salem and Oolo's beds.   She tried to make sure she was also close to Zach,  but she gave the Drow his space.    She recognized that she brought him some measure of discomfort,  though she had no idea why.  Every hour or so she would get up to check on the men and to make sure their wounds were healing well and that everyone was safe.

An unfinished tunic lay crumpled on her lap.   Though she had made some progress with it,  she found she couldn't concentrate enough to do her best work.   Already she had to remove several stitches because she wasn't paying attention to what she was doing.  

The sky was just beginning to glow with the promise of dawn.  After being up all night exhaustion was finally starting to pull at her and her head kept drooping as she was losing the battle with the sandman.   After she nearly fell out of her chair she decided to get up and move over to the window,  hoping the fresh morning air would help to chase the sleep away.
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork  Empty Re: Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Salem slept hard, but it was not restful. His dreams were plagued by memories of other lost battles, and of the last time he had come so near death. As his body attempted to turn over, seeking at least physical comfort if there was none for his mind, his still healing wounds screamed in pain. The sensation ripped him into consciousness, but he made no sound. He didn't remember where he was at first, and fought back the groan in case the enemy was near. His eyes darted around the room, and as they fell on Violet he calmed. Aware now of his surroundings and situation he looked to the side of his bed for his shirt. Though bought new, not even a week ago, it was now bloody and shredded from arrows and spears. He left it where it was as he slowly pulled himself to his feet.

The recovering Captain made his way to the window, and softly laid his hand on Violet's shoulder. His eyes peered outside as he spoke to her.

"You've been watching us all night, haven't you?"
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork  Empty Re: Recovery at the Pitcher and Pitchfork

Post by Violet Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Caught in that misty world between sleep and awake, she thought the sound of the bed creaking was just a dream. The hopes that her party members would wake soon and that everything would be ok had been in her mind the entire night. It almost seemed like too much to think it was real.

The warmth of Salems hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality and confirmed it was not a dream . With a soft intake of breath she turned to look at him, needing to know this was real. "Salem!" She breathed the word, both surprise and relief in her voice as she wrapped her arms tightly around him. She should have been more careful of his wounds; a fact that she belatedly realized, but she was so happy to see him awake.

Once she realized she may be hurting him she let go just as abruptly and started checking him over to make sure he was ok. Still seeing some lingering wounds a small worried frown formed on her lips "you shouldn't be up yet, you're still pretty hurt." She started trying to guide him back to his bed
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Salem was a little surprised when her arms wrapped around him. The grimace that his aching body inspired couldn't help but lift into a smile as he looked down at the Druid. He chuckled softly to himself as she inspected him,and he held up a hand when she tried to usher him back to bed. He took the closer of her hands into his right, and with the lift of his raised hand, he gently nudged her chin so she looked up at him.

"No more bed for me. I've been much worse than this, and I slept all night already. You though, our lovely and sleepless sentry, might should get some rest."

The smile was still on his lips as he reached down and kissed her forehead.
"Thank you for that, by the way. For taking care of us."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:00 pm

The blush that colored her cheeks at both his kiss and his words only served to accentuate her shy smile.   Her eyes dipped down to hide the pleasure she felt from his words.  

When her eyes returned to his she had herself back under control.   At his suggestion to get some sleep a look of stubbornness dominated her features and shook her head in protest.  How could he possibly expect her to sleep now?   Any hint of exhausting had been chased away with the rush of adrenaline and she seemed to have her second wind (or fourth,  or maybe fifth, but hey who's counting?!)

"There is too much to be done.   From what Oolo told me there is unfinished business to take care of.   Tell me what I can do to help. "
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:07 am

Salem chuckled as he saw a stubbornness, that was all to similar to his own, in her bearing.
"Very well, there is much to be done. A portion of which will be waiting, sadly. I sent for the Wizard Tauster, and we'll need his expertise on the ring."

He gave her hand a squeeze before heading back to his bedside. He threw on the scraps of a shirt, and grabbed his pipe. He looked back to her before continuing.

"I need to know if this is the cause of the Mire's issues for sure. I need to know it was all worth it. And then we need to figure out how we are getting our Wizard back."

His demeanor had changed to one of conflict and worry.

"Every time I tried to be diplomatic, and make deals it blew up in my face. First the Lizard men, then the Goblins... I didn't want to fight the Goblins at all. There are women and children all over those caves, but they would not listen to reason."

He sat on the edge of the bed, and put his head in the palm of his hand as he rested his elbow on his leg. A sadness had crept into his tone as be spoke again.

"I fear that their unwillingness to compromise will lead to another attack. If we aren't careful this will turn into a blood feud between their tribe, and the terrace farmers. Those kinds of things don't end until one side or both are wiped out."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

She returned the gentle squeeze before she let her hand be dropped. Her eyes followed him as he went to the bed and put the tattered remains of his shirt back on. A small frown creased her lips as she saw the reminder of how close he came to death. He may have tried to play it off as no big deal but she didn't fully believe that.

Moving to join him on the bed, she put a comforting on his back as he spoke. This was the side of him most people wouldn't believe existed. It would be so easy to judge him as a simple brute based on his size and appearance. The compassion for others and desire to do the right thing spoke volumes about who he was as a man and she found herself caring for him that much more.

She allowed him to vent without interruption, her hand rubbing his back soothingly, though she knew it could not get rid of the guilt he felt. After a few moments of silence she finally spoke up.

"I think you're right. Knowledge will be our greatest asset in this situation. We have to find out as much as we can to see if there is a peaceful solution. Oolo told me the basics of what happened, would you mind going over it from your perspective? It might help to fill in more pieces of the puzzle "

" Oh and I sent word to Illana about what happened with the lizard men, hopefully she had heard some tales about them that could help. Maybe she can help with this as well? " She tried to sound hopeful, wanting to do anything she could to help chase the sadness from Salem's voice.
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 am

Violet's touch drained some of the tension from the weary Captain's frame. He set a hand on her knee in silent thank you for her support as he looked at her with a weary smile.
"Good thinking sending word to Illana." he said before looking away again.

"Well first I should start with the Lizard men. It was a patrol we encountered. They were guarding their border. I tried to communicate with them, ask them to take us to their king or chief or whatever. It seemed plausible that they could have a shaman responsible for the growing mire. After all attempts to communicate failed I was very frustrated. I turned to our wizard and asked him if he had a spell or something to fix the situation, and the next thing I knew there was a spray of colors, and battle ensued. An unfortunate situation, to be sure, but better it happened to us than to a farmer wondering how their back forty was now part of a Lizard men tribe's new territory."
The last of his words carried the sense that he was trying to convince himself. He paused for a moment before sighing and continuing.

"Obviously, as you know, we found nothing with the Lizard men, but our next encounter seemed more fruitful. From the beginning I tried to be diplomatic with the Goblins. When we approached the cave I addressed the two guards in Orcish. We found out that they had a powerful Shaman. I told them that we needed to see him, but they refused to let us in. A scuffle ensued, and we had to take down one of the guards, but the other one surrendered. He took us into the cave where we met their chief, and the shaman. Oh, the guards were painted with this odd symbol that the Wizard said had something to do with water. The Shaman wore a ring with the same symbol. After we made our claim that he could have something to do with the mire, he took us aside, and explained that the ring was a gift from one of their gods. It was decided that the ring was most likely the culprit so we pleaded with the shaman to give it to us. I told them what the mire was doing to people, how it was ruining lives. He said that we'd have to give him a magical item, and a copy of the ring to replace it so as to make his people believe he never gave it up. I immediately offered my shield, and we tried to make a ring we had passable, but the shaman said it wasn't good enough. The only person we could think of with the skill needed was Tauster in Thurmaster, and the Wizard made the point that the journey would be at least two weeks there and back, and then however long making the ring would take. Knowing that was not an option, given the speed that the mire grew, I asked the shaman to join us outside. I gave him the idea of taking our ring, and we would help him convince them of it's power. I said I would fight their strongest warrior, and defeat him. Then I would challenge the Shaman, and he would defeat me using only the invisible power of the ring. He refused, and out of ideas I turned to the rest of the company present. I think they were all out of ideas too becuase they were silent. The shaman had started to get anxious, and was starting to retreat toward the cave. I knew if he got inside we would have to lay siege, and fight the whole tribe to get the ring, so with no other apparent course of action I attacked..."

He took a deep breath before continuing.
"I don't recall who yelled it out, but it the plan became for me to grab the shaman, and run. Taking the ring itself would of taken too long, and I could carry the body without issue. I barely took a few steps when the first volley of arrows tore into me. I kept pushing maybe three or four more steps when the next rained down. I remember falling forward, but the next thing I new I was halfway up the hillside. More arrows brought me down again I think, but then I was running again. The only thing I coud afford to let myself think about was the mission. The Wizard was yelling at me to run, and I saw arrows take him down as I glanced back. After that I kept eyes forward until I made it to the edge of town. That is where I passed out, and then I woke up here."

Mixed in his voice was the exhaustion and regret, but also hints of worry. When he looked at her that worry could be seen in his eyes.

"I hope these things I speak of don't make you think less of me..."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 pm

So he began his story, she sat back just a little so she could give him her full attention. Years of working with animals had taught her to pay attention to body language just as much as listening to the words. She let him speak without interruption, though the look of concern continued to grow as she learned more of the little details. Her hand moved to cover his as she saw the pain and worry growing within him.

When he got to the part about being struck down her hand tightened ever so slightly on his. The thought of him getting hurt like that was staring to bother her the more she got to know him. Still she did not interrupt.

Once he finished his tale and asked the pain filled question she sat back. She took the time to look at him; really trying to look deeper in to who he had shown himself to be since she got to know him. He deserves an honest and real answer, not just words that would make him feel better.

When she finally answered she met his eyes squarely "My opinion of you has changed" she answered truthfully

"I had not expected to see such compassion for a race that is not your own. This is not a common trait among humans and is a rare treasure to find.

No, Salem Blackthorn, I do not think less of you. My opinion of you has improved greatly "

Her voice cracked with emotion by the end, but her wry eyes were bright with happiness
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Oolo Ironbeard Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm

"Well. You two certainly make a sweet couple." He meant what he said, and there was a warm and hearty smile on his face as he shifted to sit up.

"I still can't believe Harrison helped get Zach out of there. And he was willing to keep his secret. He's certainly a strange one. I swear, he was dying when we left." He shook his head. "I'm just thankful the blessings of Dumathoin were enough to get you back on your feet, Salem. I feared the worse for a moment there."
Oolo Ironbeard
Oolo Ironbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Lost in the conversation with Salem, she had forgotten they were in a common room where others were still still sleeping. The unexpected voice startled her, causing her to nearly jump off the bed. When she realized who it was she smiled fondly, but then stared to blush as Oolo's comment registered. Her eyes dipped down shyly, but she didn't look displeased by the assessment.

Glancing over to Zach's tent then back to Oolo she chocked her head curiously. "Harrison found out about Zach? I didn't realize that"

"and I'm glad to see your awake Oolo. I was worried about you too. You're amazing for keeping everyone alive through all of that! " She for up and gave the dwarf a huge hug. " I'll be there to help next time" she whispered to him apologetically
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Salem had started to lean in toward Violet when the dwarfs voice and movement caught his attention. He raised an eyebrow at Oolo's assesment, but said nothing to discredit it. As the priest's topic of conversation bounced on Salem put on his boots. He stood as his companions embraced, and tried to straighten his shirt. Almost absentmindedly he spoke.

"Yes... Strange..."

After a moment he looked back up, and took a sept to stand beside them.

"Breakfast? Then we can start exploring our options."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Oolo Ironbeard Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 am

Oolo almost looks surprised at the hug, but accepts it anyway. "Aww, thank you, sweet girl. I do what I can."

At Salem's suggestion, Oolo stood, putting his vestments back on if they had been taken off to treat him. "Lead the way, my friend."
Oolo Ironbeard
Oolo Ironbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Violet led the way downstairs. The stress that had been weighing on her seemed to have lessened with Salem and Oolo's recovery. Though she knew they still had a rough journey ahead of them in rescuing their final party member.

When they got downstairs, she insisted the men sit at their familiar table by the window while she went and ordered breakfast. At the bar she ordered a hearty breakfast for the men, enough to feed at least four, as well as fruit and bread for herself. When she came back it was with two large mugs of stout ale, one for each of them. She positioned herself by the fire, but still close to Salem.

"So what do we know about these goblins? "
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Salem led the way down stairs at a pace that was slightly slower than he usually moved. His muscles were tender, and there was no point stressing them more than he had too. He made no fuss when Violet directed them where to sit, and his eyes followed her as she bounced off to get their meals. She found an appreciative, but subtle smile on his lips when she returned.

"Thank you." he said simply, as she set everything on the table.

He stabbed at a piece of what was probably ham with his knife, and chewed it down quietly. He washed it down with a swig of ale, and looked to Oolo.

"You go first, and I'll fill in any blanks."
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Oolo Ironbeard Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 am

The dwarf's eyes widened at the food, though he certainly looked up to the task. "Who knew I'd have my dinner served by an angel? Bless you, lass."

He held off from eating with some willpower to give his perspective. "There's still plenty of soldiers in the cave. But the same goes for women and children. If we're lucky, we can convince them it's not worth the losses they'd suffer to take us on all over again.
Oolo Ironbeard
Oolo Ironbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 am

The pink tint to her checks and the shy smile showed she appreciated the compliment,  but she did not comment on it.   She sat quietly and are her fruit as Oolo spike of the goblins. The though of attacking women and children did not sit well with her,  and the fact that her party members showed the same concerns confirmed she had made the right choice in joining with them.  

"l would definitely prefer a peaceful solution of possible.   Do we know how long they have been there?   I'd they have been in the area for a while and only just recently have been causing a disturbance,  maybe we can help fund a way to back to that... " though she seemed a little doubtful about her own words,  there was a hopefulness in her tone
Violet
Violet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salem Blackthorne Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:53 pm

After chewing down another bite, the Captain responding to Oolo.

"We would need all of the blessings of Tymora herself to convince them of that after the sound beating they gave us the last time."

He took a swig of ale before continuing.
"The Goblins seem to have been there for a long while. The troubles only started when their shaman found that damned ring. The problem now is they see outsiders as something of a threat."

"I would also prefer a peaceful solution, but unless we trick them into taking a fake ring, and they forgive the death of their shaman, I'm not sure how possible peace will be."

He stared off for a moment before sighing, shaking his head, and returning to eating. It was obvious that he didn't like his options.
Salem Blackthorne
Salem Blackthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum